Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day and Stash Shawl


We worked soooo hard on Saturday, applying 15 5 gallon buckets of black goopy sealant to the dance studio driveway. 8 hours for each of us, although I must be honest and say that Sid did more hard work than I did because I could not lift the buckets so he had to lift each bucket 4 times (off the shelf, into the car, out of the car, onto the driveway) and I hosed the sand off the driveway while he scrubbed the 1st 3 buckets onto the surface. It looks nice, needed to be done to preserve the drive, and thankfully won't need to be done again for 6 years (according to the buckets!). In 6 years I will hire someone to do it!

In the evening and yesterday I worked on the stash shawl, starting the 3rd color. It's 24 inchs long now and I've got enough of the ivory yarn for another pattern repeat. (Takes approximately 5 yards per row) The only other color in my stash that would coordinate is a bright yellow, and I'm not sure about that at all! EV wanted to know where I got the pattern.(I'm always a little surprised to get a comment as I never think anyone reads this blog!) It's Lion Brand Big Diamond Shawl www.lionbrand.com that is supposed to be done on size 13 and with homespun. I started to make one for my sister in law Lisa, but kept getting lost and I couldn't see the pattern developing in the yarn, so to familiarize myself with the pattern I started out with the yellow gold ball, then decided to continue with some gold Wool-ease, then just kept going with the ivory mystery yarn (acryilic I think). I have finally gotten to where I "see" the pattern and when I finish the stash shawl will start on the homespun again...need to get new needles though, the wooden 13 circs I have are way too blunt to do the k2tbl !

I so admire all the beautiful lacework people on townsendknits are doing. Maybe I'll be that talented someday. Just takes practice. I do want to make a beautiful shawl for a fair entry this year. I should buy some yarn from my new local lys, but I want something like socks that rock, not just opal. I'll buy a skein of baby blue from them for baby sweater for Karim.

Nearly done with the gussett of the 2nd tiger sock whoo, hoo, looking forward to wearing them. I'm thinking I'm going to have plenty of yarn left for socks for my favorite niece Lauren.

Studio opens tomorrow and I need to "no-slip" the A room floor (damn laminate, only mistake we made building that building, as soon as I can raise the $2000, I'm putting woodstep marley down in there!) New season will severly cut into my knitting time in the evenings as I'll be home at 10pm or later instead of 8pm, but it's what I love. I'm one of the few people I know that loves her job.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Ummm - you have at least two readers - just so you know :)

Kim in KCK said...

Make that three! Hi, Vivette, Kim in KCK from the Kansas Knitter list. I did that same shawl pattern with some varieagated mohair I had this past spring. It sort of matches my easter dress, but I haven't worn it much, and may donate it for Art for Parks.

I do ocassionally read your blog. It's one of the blogs I've saved to my favorites.